Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Russia House - Dupont Circle, DC

I've driven past this "building with the stairs" for years on my way down Connecticut Ave into Dupont Circle and now I know that it is Russia House. My cousin bought the Living Social deal (even my family members are addicted) and took me to dinner! This was our first time trying Russian food and we didn't know what to expect.
Good luck find parking around this part of town. I suggest taking the metro like we did to Dupont Circle on the red line.

Well hello there Mr. Presidents...

This DC rowhouse is made of small, cozy rooms.  The top floor is where the entrance and techno-blasting bar is along with some tables. Then you walk downstairs to the floor we were on. You will find traditional decor from the wallpaper to the paintings, etc. You can pretty much hear everybody's conversations because the tables are close together.

I love carbs! We killed this whole basket of bread and butter.

My cousin ordered a Russian beer recommended by our server. I believe it is the Baltika Porter #6 (A classic porter beer brewed according to traditional English recipes. This dark beer possesses a full flavor, as well as high density and strength. Hints of wine can felt in the aroma. 7.0% ABV) She really liked it!
The menu is small with about 10 entrees. There is a wide variety of meats like lamb, rabbit, duck, beef, pork, chicken and seafood. Their vodka list is MASSIVE, like 200 different kinds as well as a nice caviar selection.

My cousin ordered the Beef Stroganoff (Beef Tenderloin, Mushrooms and Root Vegetables in a Red Wine Cream served with Potato Puree) for $26. The only other time I've had this dish was at Noodles & Company, and there was no comparison. So rich and creamy with a ton of flavor. We were both pleasantly surprised. I'm getting this next time.

I ordered the Pan Seared Duck Breast (Confit Parsnip and Carrot Galette, Sour Cream Perogies stuffed with Cabbage and Salt Pork, Riesling Butter Sauce and Duck Jus) for $30. The duck was very tender and had the right ratio of fat to meat. The carrot galette was sweet and the perogies were good.

Our server was super nice and helpful. I liked the intimate space, and the food was tasty and more refined than I anticipated. I can now say I am a fan of Russian cuisine. Wednesday & Thursday nights include classical musicians.

1800 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 234-9433
www.russiahouselounge.com
Russia House on Urbanspoon

No comments: