Saturday, September 4, 2010

Zengo - Chinatown, DC

DC Restaurant Week was like forever ago, so forgive me, but life gets in the way. The bf and I decided to only check out one place since we did 2 restaurants for Bethesda Restaurant Week. We agreed on trying out Zengo because of my friends' recommendations, and the cuisine. It's a Chinese and Latin fusion restaurant, so it was something different that we haven't had before.
Located in the heart of Chinatown, street parking is limited, but there is garage parking. The closest metro stop is Gallery Place-Chinatown on the red/green line (its literally next to the main metro entrance at 7th & H St).

There are 2 levels to the restaurant. The 1st level is where the main bar/lounge is.

The main floor upstairs is huge! Nice high ceilings and comfy, yet modern decor. They did have these "potato-like" items hanging from the ceiling, which the bf and I found funny.

Isn't it cute? I love the soft lighting and simplicity.

They had a great restaurant week deal ($35, 3-courses). You could choose your 1st and 2nd meal off the menu, minus a few options. Then the dessert was on a separate menu. The prices listed below are the regular a la carte prices for reference.

One of my friends that recommended the restaurant raved about the 'Charred Tuna Wonton Tacos (Sushi Rice, Mango Salsa, Guacamole) for $10. I was in love! The flavors melded together so well, and I ate every little thing off that plate.

The bf and I love duck so he ordered the 'Peking Duck Daikon Tacos (Duck confit, curried apple, orange-coriander sauce) for $10. You have to assemble the tacos yourself and the "tortillas" are slices of radish. Everything together was good, but I would've liked it better if they were already assembled.

For my entree I ordered the 'Roasted Scallops Al Mojo de Ajo (Bacon, corn, sushi rice, yuzu-sriracha aioli) for $22. The scallops were seared perfectly, but the sauce was spicy! I ate 3/4 of it and gave the rest to the bf. He didn't like the bacon in it at all. Overall I thought it was good.

Our server recommended the bf order the 'Beef Tenderloin Palomilla (Sauteed chile pablano-onion, fingerling potato, ginger-serrano sauce) for $26. The meat had a more acidic sauce on it, which I liked but the bf was not a fan. The fries looked like yucca to me, even though it says fingerling potatoes on it. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

For dessert, they had this special item, 'Ancho Chocolate Cake (Hibiscus-sake cherries, milk chocolate mousse) for $6. We did not like it very much because it was a very "musky" flavor. I've had chocolate with chipotles, but the ancho chiles tasted different. The mousse was very mediocre, but the cherries were my favorite part.

The bf got the 'Blackberry & Cream sorbet', which I found to be very mediocre, but he liked it.

Our server was awesome and very knowledgeable of the menu. Our food came out quickly and water glasses constantly refilled. I liked the space of the restaurant and the variety of food. We were about to order sushi (love the stuff) but decided to try something else. The prices are expensive with the entrees being in the $20's. It's a nice place to go on a date or with friends because they have larger tables made for groups.

781 Seventh Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
Tel. 202.393.2929
http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengodc/

Lunch
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner
Sunday - Thursday 5pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday 5pm - 11:30pm
Bar & Lounge
Monday - Thursday 5pm - 11pm
Friday 5pm - 1:30am
Saturday 5pm - 1:30am
Sunday Closed
Happy Hour
Monday – Saturday 5pm - 7:30pm

No comments: