Saturday, November 12, 2011

China Star - Fairfax, VA

My cousin took me to China Star - her favorite Chinese restaurant ever. There is plenty of parking in this suburban shopping center, and the closest metro would be Vienna on the orange line. She is a lover of authentic Chinese food and is the same person that introduced me to stinky tofu. Once again, I forgot to take a picture of the front! I think I've been so hungry recently that I just run in without thinking.

The interior isn't too decorative, but there are lots of large tables for big groups.

The menu has "American" Chinese food as well as over 100 of authentic Szechuan dishes.

They started us off with a small portion of room temperature beans that were slightly sweet. Good snack.

This was the famously addictive dish we came for. The Fish with Bean Curd ($11.95) has numbing properties. I didn't know what that meant when I saw it on the menu, but apparently the Sichuan peppercorns "numb" your taste buds slightly. This causes a different sensation when eating the rest of the dish, and used to enhance flavors. I honestly didn't even notice it! My cousin thinks it feels really cool and makes her water taste different too.

Spinach with garlic wasn't on the menu, but my cousin asked for it, and it was AWESOME. So simple, but made perfectly.

Happy Family (beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, scallop, and lobster with assorted vegetables sautéed in chef's special sauce) $13.95. It doesn't come with noodles, but we asked to add them because we actually ordered the wrong thing. It was tasty and fresh though!

I don't eat as much Chinese food as my cousin does, but this place had some special dishes I haven't seen before. Cheap prices, nice service, and I would recommend coming to try any dish that has numbing spices in them!

9600 Main St
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 323-8822
www.chinastarfood.com
China Star on Urbanspoon

2 comments: