Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fojol Brothers of Merlindia- DC

I was at the "For the Love of DC" event at the Longview Gallery on 9th & M St NW, and saw this crazy-looking truck parked in front of it. It was a Fojol Brothers of Merlindia truck! Started in January 2009, they sell Indian food from their truck in different parts of DC.


The people working had amazing outfits on that reminded me of an 'old school' circus/carnival. I didn't get a picture of the guy working, but he had a huge moustache.


After looking at their website, I learned that besides selling food they also work events, which explained why the food was free! The serving size was very small, but there were popular Indian dishes to choose from: Spinach & Cheese, Lentils, Chicken Masala and Chicken Curry.


My friend got the chicken curry on basmati rice. He said it was awesome.


I got my favorite - Spinach & Cheese on basmati rice. It was AMAZING. I couldn't stop thinking about it after that night. Very good quality that you might not expect from a food truck.


What I also liked was that they had a compost bin on the back of their truck. The mini bowls, napkins and utensils were all biodegradable. I like it when businesses are thinking about the environment.



One of the coolest things that attracted me to this truck was the music! They were playing some amazing funk that really made it worth being outside in the cold. You can see the guy grooving while he's ordering, haha.


I have never seen anything like it. A circus-looking truck with Indian food and funk music...better than the hot dog carts, for sure! They use Twitter and their website to inform people of there daily where abouts. Since this was for an event, they didn't have as many selections as they normally would, but I saw Lassi pops on their menu, and I want to try those in the summer.

Follow them on their website

No comments: