Monday, January 11, 2010

Low-Carb Spagetti Squash

Apparently it takes 2 weeks to recover from the Holidays and my Birthday...Sorry! I'm back into the groove of things now, and I'll have my birthday post (Sushi Damo) and others up soon.

Other than saving money this New Year, I wanted to eat healthier too. So at Trader Joe's I found a Spaghetti Squash and decided to try it out. I first heard about this vegetable from my coworker. I thought she meant 'squash in my spaghetti', but that is not the case. Let me explain!

It's a big 'ol squash that reminded me of a watermelon (size/shape)-pumpkin(texture/seeds) thing. It was a pain to cut in half, so be patient when doing it.


Inside there are seeds like in a pumpkin that you need to scoop out with a spoon.


Already without cooking it, you can see the fibers that come out of the flesh that resemble spaghetti noodles! Pretty cool stuff.


Thank goodness for directions on the squash. I just followed it to make my life easier.


It was super hot coming out of the microwave! I think I let it sit for a bit before trying to handle it.


The strands came out VERY easily when I ran my fork through it.


Voila! I put some tomato sauce on it, and had my low-carb dinner. The texture is a bit crunchy, and it tastes a bit sweet. So it's not EXACTLY like pasta, but if you're on a low-carb diet, this is a great way substitute. One squash filled and ENTIRE large bowl, so you'll probably have leftovers for a few days.

No comments: