Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow brings people closer together

We've survived the blizzard, DMV people! I don't want to jinx anything since Monday we're supposed to get more snow... Let's not think about it. 

Just wanted to share the highlight of my week. After not having power for over 24 hours, suffering from cabin fever and shoveling snow like my life depended on it... I've realized there is always a silver lining. I've gotten to know my neighbors and they're great people.

We've lived here for 2 years now, and never really had the chance to hang out with the people that live on our block. Mother Nature brought us together to talk and joke around while shoveling. Everyone was helping other people, and it was just a really nice thing. Got to learn about the couple that recently had a baby while shoveling their car out, and talking to the older woman living next door who probably hates our loud music. 

The girls who live a few doors down (never seen them before) came by one day and asked to borrow our shovels since they didn't have any. Of course they could borrow them! Last night as I was baking, I heard a knock on my door and there they were with a Thank You card and some S'mores supplies as a gift. I was so shocked! I only let them BORROW a shovel, and they genuinely appreciated it. It was too sweet of them. I had to post about it because it reminds you that there are still nice people in the world. They probably have no idea how their kindest has affected me as I didn't know how my kindness had affected them.

By the way, I was baking Irish Carbomb cupcakes yesterday, so I'll post about them soon! I can't wait to use these supplies. I saw a cool S'mores brownies recipe on Foodnetwork.com that I might have to use.

On an ironic note, our shovel actually got stolen by someone else a few days ago, so that goes to show the world isn't full of nice people, but it's really special when you encounter one.

1 comment:

Cindy Cotte Griffiths said...

Great staying positive! I saw neighbors meeting and helping each other too. Actually coming out into the cold to assist people they didn't even know - but then they did know each other. Love finding the positive and you're baking something I've never heard of! Can't wait to see.