Saturday, October 23, 2010

Matuba - Bethesda, MD

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, but life has been busy and I've been injured... let's get to it! I get sushi cravings fairly often, but I don't usually act upon them because it can get expensive. This time the bf and I decided to satisfy our raw fish craving with an All-You-Can-Eat revolving sushi buffet at Matuba. There is metered street parking and a metered garage on the same block. The closest metro stop is Bethesda on the red line.

The restaurant is split up into different sections. The 1st thing you see if the sushi bar, then you walk a bit and see the main dining area. Walk up a loft and you see these tables which fit larger groups.

Walk down some more stairs, and there is the revolving sushi bar! I think it sits around 16 people. $17.95 per person for dinner.

I think it's fun to interact with your food and pick which ones look good as they swivel along by. Like a predator stalking its prey...lol.

They had a lot of non-sushi items on the belt like fried dumplings, salad, chicken teriyaki, tempura, etc. I thought there were more of these on the belt than sushi, which I wasn't a fan of.

As far as the sushi selection, it was very limited to about the ones I photographed, along with a few hand rolls or variations of those below. The quality was sadly very poor. One of the salmon pieces had something hard in it, the seaweed for the handrolls were tough, the fish didn't have a clean flavor, and I saw a few flies land on the plates.

I wanted to take a picture of all of our plates but they kept taking them away! This was about 1/3 of our plates. We wanted to get our money's worth despite the fact I was already stuffed.

This review is only about their sushi buffet. I don't know how their normal menu is. I really wanted to like their buffet because its a cool and fun concept, but the quality was not worth it. The selection of fish was disappointing too. The staff and sushi chef were super nice and friendly though. If you're not picky about quality, then this buffet could be something you'd like. It's cheaper during lunch hours too.

4918 Cordell Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 652-7449
http://www.matuba-sushi.com/matuba/Home_.html
Matuba Japanese Restaurant - Bethesda on Urbanspoon

No comments: