Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breadsoda - Glover Park, DC

I really appreciate my friends and readers. Many of them let me know of cool restaurants to try and some of them even offer to make field trips out of them! One of my friends made me aware of this bar/sandwich shop/games place called Breadsoda. Named after the Prohibition slang term for beer, we met up on a lazy Saturday afternoon to check it out. Located on Wisconsin Avenue, there are plenty of meters lining the street, and apparently a free parking lot in the back. It's hard to see from the road because you have to walk down stairs to the entrance. They also offer 2-levels of patio seating out front.

We got there right when it opened at noon, so there was only one other guy in the place. My first impression was that the place was very clean, had great lighting and was cozy size. Stevie Wonder, James Brown and The Jackson 5 were playing in the background. It has a 70's feel to it, which I was digging.

A few pool tables are in the back of the room along with a projector screen playing the day's football games.

The small hallway leading to the bathroom has the shuffleboards. I have no idea how you play, but group that came in a few hours later were screaming their heads off like their lives depended on it.

At the end of the bar facing the shuffleboards is a small display case with drinks, deviled eggs, candy, pasta salad, etc.

My girl friend started off with 'Hummus (homemade hummus served with toasted bread)' for $5.50. She thought it was good, but resembled a store-bought version. It had a lot of garlic in it, and we wished it served was pita bread rather than toast.

They offer a very long sandwich menu, so it took me a while to pick. I ended up wanting some comfort food and ordered the 'Grilled Cheese and Bacon (American cheese, applewood smoked bacon on sourdough)' for $6.95. I love sourdough bread, melted cheese and of course, bacon. The sandwich was ok. I would've preferred the cheese to be more melted and the bread more buttery. I know I'm insane, but it didn't melt in my mouth.

My girl friend was on a healthy kick that day and ordered the 'Veggie Sandwich (cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, field greens, daikon sprouts with house made goat cheese spread on multi-grain)' for $6.95. She said it tasted fresh, similar to eating a salad. She wasn't a fan of the bag of chips every sandwich came with.

My guy friend ordered the 'Roast Beef (roast beef, Maytag bleu cheese, tomato, red onion, house made horseradish mayonnaise, on an onion ciabatta roll, add au jus for $1.50)' $8.95. He added the au jus on the side and thought the sandwich was hearty, not overly filling and had a nice balance of flavors.

For dessert we shared an order of 'Chilled Reese’s Cups' for $2. This is my favorite chocolate candy ever, so it was a nice way to end our lunch.

This was a really chill place on a Saturday afternoon. It got a lot louder around 3pm and busier, which is probably a blast at night (they close late) with a large group of friends. There was only one person working at the time and she was totally cool. I enjoyed the vibe, found the food to be ok, reasonably priced, and would want to come back at night. Aside from the games listed earlier they also offer Wii, Darts, Chess, Checkers, Scrabble, Backgammon and Yatzee. Tuesday is Ping Pong night and Wednesdays are Karaoke night.

2233 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 333-7445
http://www.breadsoda.com/
Breadsoda on Urbanspoon

Sunday - Thursday
12pm - 1:20am
Friday - Saturday
12pm - 2:20am

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, This is Breadsoda. Thanks for the review. We really appreciate it. We hope you come back soon. We've added new beers to our menu and some new food too! Keep up the good work and good luck with your blog!