Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bombay Bistro - Rockville, MD

The first time I had tried Indian food was at Bombay Bistro when I was probably 10 years old. It was one of the original Indian restaurants in the area. I decided to re-pay it a visit after all these years with one of my good friends.

There is parking in front and along the side of the restaurant. The closest metro station is Rockville on the red line.

The place is small on the inside with pretty simple decor. Our booth looked and felt a bit worn down though.

The menu consists of regional dishes from both the North and South of India.

My friend and I shared an appetizer of Aloo Tikki (Potato patties stuffed with spiced peas, served with assorted chutneys) for $5.95. We wanted something non-fried, and it was the 1st time I had heard of this item, and I liked it a lot. Nice consistency, and flavorful.

We both ordered Garlic Naan (leavened white flour bread with garlic) for $2.50. Each of them were the size of a small pizza. They had a lot of garlic and I appreciated the large portions.

I ordered the Saag Paneer (homemade cubes of cheese cooked with spinach) for $10.95, which was the closest thing to Palak Paneer (my fav!). However I've realized the difference between the dishes is what I'm not a fan of - the consistency. The Saag Paneer is thicker and I prefer the smoothness of the Palak Paneer. I also found this dish a bit bland.

My friend ordered the Lamb Rogan Josh (lamb cooked with an assortment of spices and
tomatoes) for $12.95. I liked it better than my dish because it had a lot of spices and was more flavored.  The presentation was cute with the candle. Both dishes were served with basmati rice.

Our server was helpful when we were trying to understand the dishes. The garlic naan was the highlight of our meal. I would probably order something else next time, though the assorted chutneys helped my dish a bit. I found the prices to be average for Indian food (low teens).

98 W Montgomery Ave
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 762-8798
www.bombaybistro.com
Bombay Bistro on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

JJ said...

We started going to Bombay Bistro when it first opened. Unfortunately, the food and dining experience has gotten as worn as the booth you sat in. Spice Xing is superior, and Minerva is very good and reasonably priced.