Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mosaic Cuisine & Cafe - Rockville, MD

I met up with one of my old college friends for dinner at Mosaic Cuisine & Cafe since we've always seen it driving down Rockville Pike, and because we've met up at Burtucci's three times before and we wanted something new!

Mosaic Cuisine & Cafe is located in Rockville near the Whole Foods in Congressional Plaza. The closest metro station would be Twinbrook on the Red Line. The front of the restaurant faces a road, but the parking is located in the rear, and it is free.

This photo is of the back entrance to the restaurant via the parking lot.


The interior is set up with booths and tables, and has a roomy feel to it. We were sitting in the middle of the restaurant, so this is the front of the place. I liked the casual but classy feel that the place had.


This is the tiny side of the restaurant that is near the road entrance.


The booths are so cute and roomy. They have pillows and a lot of elbow room if you needed to fit 4 people. The white cloth napkins, wine glasses and placemats were a nice touch too.


The restaurant describes their cusine as being 'Eclectic' and taking French cusine and adding Belguim, Italian and American influences. For example, instead of bread, they offer waffles. I was a bit skeptical of how waffles would go with my food, however they aren't sweet breakfast waffles. They are a bit more crisp and airy, and taste more like a garlic bread.

I wasn't starving that night, so I did not order their Famous Waffle Sandwich called a Waffleissimo. It's a sandwich or burger with waffles as the buns. Someone please try it and let me know how it is!

I ordered a bowl of their 'Tomato Pesto and Coriander Soup - silky and fragrant with a swirl of jade sauce (Vegetarian)' for $7.50. I loved the jade sauce made into a sad face. It was quite unexpected and it looks like a sad Kool Aid man. I loved the soup! It was flavorful, had a great smooth texture and had the right amount of acid. It was served with 1/2 a waffle, and I enjoyed dipping it into the soup.

I then ordered a side of Sweet Potato Fries for $4. I'm a huge fan of all things sweet potato, so I was excited when I saw it on the menu. The fries however were a bit oily and lacked seasoning.


As an appetizer, my friend ordered a bowl of 'Wild Mushroom Soup - shiitake and forest mushrooms simmered with herbs, finished with a touch of cream (Vegetarian)' for $7.50. She said she liked it.


For her entree she ordered the 'Grilled Vegetable Salad with Feta tossed in Balsamic dressing' for $12. The salmon was added on for an extra $7. The salad was HUGE! So you definetly get your money's worth, and she took some of it home.


She also ordered a side of 'Potatoes Gratin' for $5. I heart my friends because they love to eat too!


It's a nice casual place to get some food if you're in the mood for something a little different. The server we had was super attentive, so that was a plus. The overall prices are between $4-$20 for dinner.
They offer breakfast/brunch everyday until 2pm with sweet and savory dishes like waffles, omelettes, and eggs benedict.
Lunch is offered daily from 2pm-5pm with soup and salad options.
Then dinner is served beginning at 5pm. They also offer around 9 different desserts including crepes. I'm sad I was too full to order any!

186 Halpine Road
Rockville, MD 20852
301-468-0682
Website

Sunday through Thursday: 8:00 AM until 9:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 8:00 AM until 10:00 PM

Mosaic Cuisine and Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Olga said...

omg, the photo of the soup is hilarious! I Like how it's a mean face instead of a smiley face :)

sweet potatoes and awesome!