Friday, March 20, 2009

Joe's Noodle House - Rockville, MD

The other night my bf and I decided to grab some Chinese food at Joe's Noodle House. There's been a buzz about this place for being an awesome Szechuan style restaurant, so we decided to try it.

Its located on the side of a shopping center off Rockville Pike (across the street from Congressional North Shopping Center) and has plenty of free parking. The closest Metro stop would be Twinbrook on the Red line.

I thought the sign was cool because it was written in both Chinese and English. However it just says Noodle House. Where's Joe?!


There were many awards and articles plastered on the windows and foyer of the restaurant, so you can't go wrong with a place like that!


The interior was bright with red walls, and mirrors to make it appear larger. The place wasn't huge, but there were a lot of tables inside. It was pretty crowded when we came in. Notice the "Please Order and Pay Here" sign above the counter. Basically when you walk in they show you to your table, hand you menus, and when you're ready you walk up to the front to order and pay before you eat.


I didn't know what to expect from this place since you're can't see the inside through the windows very clearly, but it's a normal-looking Chinese restaurant with a very diverse crowd of people dining there. I loved the bright lighting for my camera's sake.


Onto the food! The menu is HUGE!! Not including beverages or the lunch specials, they have 212 items to choose from! (Yes, I actually took the time to count, haha.) Besides being well-known for their Szechuan style cuisine, they are known for having many exotic dishes. You can order Chicken Gizzard, Pork Liver or Kidney, Beef or Pork Tripe, Pork Blood, Duck Feet or Tongue.

The bf and I decided to be like Andrew Zimmern from 'Bizarre Foods' on Travel Channel and try something that we aren't familiar with. We chose 'Duck Tongues with Basil' for $6.95. The dish came out really fast, and there were about a dozen tongues on the plate. FYI, this dish is served cold, which surprised me when it came out.


If you ever decide to try duck tongue do not chomp down into one because there's cartilage/bone in the center. I found that out by chomping, haha. There isn't much meat on it but its something different to snack on before your entree comes out. The basil and peppers mix was nice, and a little spicy. I was trying to get over the cold tongue idea while eating it, so I'm not sure if I'd get it again, but if you're not squeamish then you should try it.

The pic isn't of the same piece, but its to show the outside and inside of a duck tongue.


The bf ordered the 'Stir-Fried Sliced Pork with Hot Pepper and Leak' for $8.95. I think he enjoyed it since he finished the whole thing. The only thing he mentioned was he wished it had more pork in it.


I ordered the 'Moo-Shu with 6 Pancakes w/Beef' for $9.75. I thought it tasted good, and the sauce ties the dish together when rolled up in the pancakes. There was egg, cabbage, carrots and other things I wasn't sure of. I also wished there were a bit more beef since it was mostly cabbage.


The pancakes were really good and warm.


The brown sauce was really good, and I kind of felt like I was eating a Chinese fajita as I was rolling it up. 6 rolls is a lot of food for me, so I only ate 4 while letting the bf have one and taking the rest home.


I just wanted to mention that I love free tea! You do have to order it at some places, but it was cool that they give you a large pot right when you sit down.


My fortune wasn't anything special because I don't remember it, but I do enjoy getting a fortune cookie at the end of a meal at a Chinese restaurant.


I thought the staff was very nice and friendly. Very laid back and casual place with a huge menu at very reasonable prices. The most expensive dish on the menu is $14.95. Next time I'd love to try the noodles since it is called 'Joe's Noodle House' so I'm sure they're delicious. If you go to the website they have a coupon for 10% an order of $20 or more Monday-Thursday.

1488-C Rockville Pike
Rockville, Maryland 20852-1414
(301) 881 - 5518

Monday - Friday 11:30am to 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 11:00am to 10:00pm

Website

Joe's Noodle House on Urbanspoon

No comments: