Monday, June 28, 2010

Spice Xing - Rockville, MD

Friday was date night with the bf, and before watching The Karate Kid (good flick btw) we had Indian food at Spice Xing. The restaurant was on Washingtonian's Top 100 Cheap Eats list, so I wanted to try it. We haven't had Indian food in a while anyway. I kept pronouncing it like "Spice Sing" but the bf corrected me, and it's "Spice Crossing" haha. Located in Rockville Town Square, the parking garage on Gibbs St is $1 as well as in front of Regal Theaters on Friday nights and free on weekends. There is also metered street parking. The closest metro stop is Rockville on the red line.

The interior is really pretty with booths and nice chairs wicker-looking chairs. I liked the floor to ceiling windows, and the outdoor seating.

They have a beautiful lit up bar, and gorgeous drapery over the main dining area.

They also had colorful mounted photographs of spices on the walls.

For our appetizer, we ordered the 'Tamarind Glazed Prawn (Jumbo shrimp with a tangy glaze)' for $8.25.They were really big shrimp! The glaze was flavorful and went well with the dipping sauce. The veggies on the side were spicy! I wish there were more than 2 shrimp for the price though.

For my entree, I ordered the 'Paneer Makhni (Farmers cheese in a burnt butter-tomato sauce) for $12.95.<I  love all Indian dishes with paneer, and this was awesome. They gave a lot of paneer, there was a great balance in flavors and was a bit sweet.

The bf ordered 'Malbari Chicken (A southern coastal curry with coconut)' for $12.95. He liked it a lot, and said the chicken was very tender and not dry at all.

Each entree came with perfectly cooked basmati rice, some cabbage slaw, and delicious green beans.

We ordered some 'Garlic Nan' for $2.75 since there as a lot of curry, and we needed either more rice or bread. This was the best nan I've ever had. It tasted better in my dish because it's tomato-based and somehow reminded us of pizza.

Everything we had there was good. The service was nice, and the place is really pretty. I think the entrees were priced reasonably, but the appetizer was a bit pricey. They have a huge dessert menu - 10 items. We were so full though, but they looked good. 

100 Gibbs St
Unit B
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 610-0303
Spice Xing on Urbanspoon

Mon-Thu 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
Fri-Sat 11:30 am - 10:30 pm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try their "Happy Hour and a Half" appetizers - we can make a meal out of just two appetizers! Goes from 5:00 to 6:30 M-F. I think this is only available in the bar, but we're happy to sit there and chat with the very friendly staff.

Marie said...

Thanks for your comment! I know they also have "Curry-oke" which sounds cool too. I wish I worked closer to all the places that have happy hours, haha