Sunday, August 22, 2010

If I moved to NYC, I'd be fat and broke.

NYC is one of those cities that I fall in love with every time I go. Granted sometimes its dirty, too crowded, expensive or hectic, but I love the food, the tall buildings, the accent and the excitement.

I took a weekend trip for a bboy battle, and to visit some friends. It's a different trip when you visit friends because you rely on them to show you around. Compared to my LA trip where I was researching 6 months prior on where to eat and visit, this NYC trip was relaxing and my friends did a great job showing me as locals, where they loved to eat.

Day 1

99 Miles to Philly
94 3rd Ave
(between 12th St & 2nd Ave)
New York, NY 10003
Neighborhood: East Village
(212) 253-2700

I got to NYC for $1 on Gotobus.com. With all bad weather recently, I didn't get to NYC until around 10:30pm. My girl NV picked me up, asked if I was hungry and said "I know exactly where to take you".
I haven't had a Philly cheesesteak in months, so I was happy to try a new place. FYI, it's cash only.

Like many places in NYC, they're tiny. This place had around 5 small tables. Very casual but looked cool with the red lighting. Order up front, and they'll call your name. You can also place your order online.

I ordered the 'Steak, American cheese, Wit' (onions) and green peppers' for $8. Cheesesteaks come in one size (12 inches) and they're skinny. It was really good, and I ate the entire thing! Very soft sandwich, and the meat wasn't dry at all.

OMG these were the BEST waffle fries ($3) I've ever had in my life. They were hot, crispy, flavorful, and soft on the inside. You don't even need to dip them in anything, but their BBQ is really delicious.
99 Miles To Philly on Urbanspoon

Day 2

I met up with my long time friend Hank for lunch and walking around the city.

Souen
326 East 6th Street
(bet.1st ave & 2nd ave),10003
Neighborhood: East Village
212-388-1155

He took me to one of his favorite, and healthy Japanese restaurants. It is a macrobiotic (the thought that by eating balanced foods such as grains and vegetables that are more local and in season), organic and natural restaurant. 

Skinny little place that was SO tranquil on the inside. It makes you forget you're in a bustling city.

I ordered the 'Stir-fried Soba (sauteed vegetables with soba noodles in teriyaki and ginger-tamari sauce)' for $11. It was a large portion of a lot of vegetables and it was a bit bland, but with the soy sauce and sesame seeds, it was pretty good.

My friend ordered off their specials menu: pick a ramen and a side for $10. He ordered the 'House-made Curry Ramen (curry spices and vegetables with organic wheat noodles) and the 'Sauteed Garlic Greens (kale) with Sesame Vinaigrette'. The ramen was flavorful because of the curry base and the kale was yummy.

For dessert we shared a 'New York Tofu “Cheese cake” Pie (light and glazed with berry sauce)' for $6.50. It was better than it sounds, and it was thicker and less creamy than a traditional cheesecake. It can't compare to a traditional NY Cheesecake, but if you're lactose intolerant, its a good alternative.
Souen Ramen on Urbanspoon

Artichoke
328 E 14th St
(between 2nd Ave & 1st Ave)
New York, NY 10003
Neighborhood: East Village
(212) 228-2004

Right after we ate at Souen, we walked past his favorite pizza place, which already had a lot of people sitting outside eating.

Tiny place that has no seating, and you buy pizza by the slice for $4.50 each.

Their specialty is their 'Artichoke pizza (artichoke, alfredo sauce and fresh mozzarella)'. OMG this thing was so good! The sauce was very rich and the dough is more like a flat bread.
Artichoke Basille’s Pizza & Brewery on Urbanspoon

53rd and 6th Halal Cart "Chicken and Rice"
53rd St & 6th Ave
New York, NY 10079
(212) 586-7000

Around 3am we hit up the Halal Carts to get Chicken & Rice! The line was 4 times what you see.

I prefer the lamb & rice ($6), and OMG if they had this back home, they'd prob get all of my late night snacking money.
53rd and 6th Halal Cart on Urbanspoon

Day 3

Pie By the Pound
124 4th Ave
(between 12th & 13th st.)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 475-4977

My girl NV took me to this cool and different pizza place for lunch before practice.

Casual place with retro furniture and clean walls and floors.

You buy pizza buy weight. It's not announced, but we asked and it's around $9.50 lb (expensive!). You tell them how big of a slice you want to buy. You can taste them before committing. The pizza is very thin, and more on the crisp side. If you wanted to buy an entire pie, you can do that too for a non-weight amount.

We shared their deal, "Pie Sampler: 5 Samples and a Drink" for $10. We sampled the:
1. Spinach Pie (Spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, garlic)
2. Mushroom Pie (Mixed mushrooms, mozzarella, tomato sauce)
3. Pepperoni Pie (Pepperoni, mozzarella and tomato sauce)
4. Some sort of tomato pizza (sorry!)
5. Fresh Cubed Pie (Cubed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, cubes arugula, olive oil, garlic and basil)
They were all really good because the ingredients were so fresh and flavorful.

I chose a Boyland Soda in Black Cherry as part of my meal deal. It's so good! I wish these kinds of sodas came in 2-liter bottles. The cane sugar really makes the sodas taste more natural.
Pie By the Pound on Urbanspoon

Walking around after practice, and there were so many closed off streets for weekend markets.

Berry Froyo
Neighborhood: Union Square

This is the 1st time I've had frozen yogurt from a truck! It was perfect weather for some froyo.

We shared an original tart with mochi and blueberries ($4). It was SO good. The yogurt was dense, tart and creamy. The mochi and blueberries tasted fresh, so I was a happy camper.

Day 4

Bagels & Co
500 E 76th St
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
New York, NY 10021
(212) 717-0505

It was my last day, by NV wanted me to try some places before catching my bus, so she showed me her favorite NYC bagel place.

They make their own cream cheese in house!

We shared her typical order of 'Plain bagel and scallion cream cheese" for $3.50. I forgot to tell them to toast it, but it was still good and the scallions were so fresh...mmmmm
Bagels & Co on Urbanspoon

Pop Burger
14 E 58th St
Neighborhood: Midtown East
New York, NY 10022
(212) 991-6644

Right after we ate the bagel, we drove to get mini burgers as part of my last meal.

Look are COOL this place looks! Casual place where you order at a window, and pick up your order. You can also order online.

Their speciality are their 'Pop burgers (burger, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Pop sauce )' for $7. You get 2 in a box, and they're super tasty. The Pop sauce reminds me of McD's Big Mac sauce. Very fresh ingredients, and I really enjoyed them.

We shared an order of fries ($3.75), which were so good! I didn't need ketchup on these either. They were crispy on the outside (more similar to beer battered fries) and soft on the inside.
Bagels & Co on Urbanspoon

I heart my friends so much, the battle was fun, and I can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn girl! I may have to visit NY with you next time so much has changed and I trust your taste buds!