Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bubble Tea Cafe - Rockville, MD

The other week the bf and I craved a refreshing drink, so before grocery shopping we stopped by Bubble Tea Cafe in Rockville. I was looking for a cafe to replace my beloved Bubble Mix (out of business) which I used to frequent 3 times a week in College Park years ago. This place is like a grown up version of that place. Parking is located on the sides and behind the building. The closest metro stop is Twinbrook on the red line.

Look how bright the place is! Not a big place at all. This is the counter with about 4 tables on the inside.


Don't mind the bf reading his Gameinformer Magazine. This is the rest of the place with the counter being on the right side.


They gave us a frequent buyer card where if you buy 6 (16 oz) drinks, you get 1 free! Usually places want you to buy 10 before you get a free drink, so this was nice.


They offer 3 different sizes of drinks: Small ($3.35), Med ($3.95) and Lrg ($4.95). You can order smoothies, milkshakes, juice teas or bubbles teas in a wide array of flavors that seem typical to any other place I've tried. They can mix flavors for you since they use powders and syrups, and you can add in protein, vitamins or jellies for $0.50. If you're hungry or cold, they offer a small number of pasties and hot tea options.

I ordered a 'Med (16 oz) Almond Milk bubble tea for $3.95'. It was SO GOOD! It was sweetened perfectly and just the right amount of bubbles. The bubbles (boba pearls) were cooked perfectly and weren't hard or slimy. They weren't too large or bland either.


The bf ordered a 'Mediem Taro for $3.95'. He said his wasn't sweet enough. He did like the bubbles a lot, which means something since he's usually not a fan.


They've been open for about a year now, and the couple that run the place are SUPER nice. The husband even delivered our drinks to our table. Cozy environment to study or read. Soft rock was playing and the place is very clean. I've heard this from my cousin who has been a bunch of times, which is that sometimes the drinks aren't sweet enough. I'm not sure if they guess on the proportions when they make the drinks or they choose to make them less sugary. I think they're prices are cheap. I used to go to Ten Ren's in Rockville, but found their prices to be $$, and their drinks to be powdery. So check this place out!

130 Rollins Ave Ste F-1
Rockville, MD 20852
(301) 770-1688
www.yelp.com/biz/bubble-tea-cafe-rockville
Bubble Tea Cafe on Urbanspoon
Mon. Closed
Tues-Sat. 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sun. 12:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.

3 comments:

Henry said...

I know this is an old review, but I just wanted to second your review of Bubble Tea Cafe. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I am the former owner of Bubblemix in College Park. I miss Bubblemix myself, but when I'm getting the boba craving, I go to this place. There are a few things I don't like about this place, but that's only because I used to do this myself. I think they need to get a cup sealer. I ended up spilling a drink in my car one time when I took one home for the wife. Also, the menu is confusing (but so was mine). But the bubbles are always spot on and the drinks are fairly consistent. I found out they use one of the same distributors that I used, so that's probably why I like their flavors. And thanks for the shout out to Bubblemix. The wife and I miss it so much. If I ever find a better location and some capital, I may have to make a 2nd run at it. Awesome blog by the way.

- Henry Pak

Marie said...

Henry, I feel like a celeb chef just wrote on my blog. Yes, I remember you and your wife! If you ask any of my friends, I still think about Bubblemix. It was a huge part of my wonderful college experience. Yall should venture into it again orrrrr a Bubble Tea truck. There isn't one yet in the DC area! =)

Yes I agree with your observations. The lids can get messy and the menu is super confusing.

Thanks again for commenting!

Henry said...

I didn't notice that you had replied to my comment until just recently. From time to time, I get reminiscent and decide to Google "Bubblemix". That's when I come across your blog post and feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Everytime I stop by Bubble Tea Cafe, I long to do another bubble tea cafe. It's funny that you mention a Bubble Tea truck because the thought has definitely crossed my mind. But I feel like the food truck industry has become too crowded. I think bubble tea can be successful served from a truck, it's just the shear number of food trucks out there would make the physical challenge not worth it.

The way I see it, as long as the bubble tea in the area remains mediocre, I still have a chance breakthrough a second time. The DMV market is currently crowded with cafes that serve bubble tea as an afterthought. They aren't passionate enough about the product. Hopefully, my opportunity will come sooner than later. Someday...

Thanks for your kind words.