Monday, March 1, 2010

Sabai Sabai - Germantown, MD

To celebrate a coworkers birthday and unknowingly her engagement (Congrats!), we went to a Thai restaurant called Sabai Sabai in Germantown. The former owners of Rockville's Benjarong (awesome place) own this restaurant now. Located in Germantown Shopping Center, there's street parking and a parking lot around the corner. The closest metro stop is Shady Grove on the red line.

FYI, I'm using my Iphone camera since I don't usually bring my camera to work with me.


The place consists of only one dining room, which isn't that big. The place was PACKED for lunch, so we ended up eating at the bar. The decor is really nice, new, and full of inviting colors and materials.


Aside from their regular menu, they have a lunch menu that we all ordered from. Originally I ordered the 'Roast Duck over Rice ($8.95)', but the server heard me wrong and brought me the 'Roast Pork over Rice ($7.95)'. I decided to eat it anyway since I only have an hour lunch break, and I was not sorry. It was AMAZING. The pork was so tender and sweet. The rice was perfectly cooked and the simple combo of pork over white rice was delicious. I'd totally order this dish again. The 'gravy' it came out with seemed like soy sauce, but I didn't even need to use it.


My coworker ordered the 'Drunken Noodles (I don't know what kind of protein) for $8.95'. She let me try it and it was spicy, but had great flavor. She's the one that recommended this place to us. Good job!


The bride-to-be ordered the 'Grilled Chicken + Papaya Salad with Sticky Rice ($8.95)'. Look at all of the food! The chicken had a tasty marinade on it, and the salad was a little spicy, but good.


I really enjoyed the food - nice depth of flavors and cooked well. The service was mediocre. It took a long time to get water, and my order was wrong but they were nice. I thought the prices were a bit expensive for lunch ($7.95-9.95). Their regular menu is fairly large with classic Thai dishes like Pad Thai (9.95), but then they offer some non-traditional items like Lamb Chops ($18.95), Mussels ($12.95) and Catfish ($13.95). They also have a Vegetarian (fake-meat) menu with items like 'You Think It's Duck Curry ($12.95). I've heard the Mango & Sticky Rice ($5.95) is killer, so I'll need to get that next time.

19847 Century Blvd
Germantown, MD 20874
301-528-1400
www.sabaisimplythai.com
Sabai Sabai - Simply Thai on Urbanspoon
Mon-Thur: 11am–3pm 4:30–10pm
Fri: 11:00am–10:30pm
Sat: 11:30am–10:30pm
Sun: 12pm–9:30pm

2 comments:

V.D. said...

Oooh I've never heard of this place. I still owe my stepfather a birthday lunch and he LOVES thai food so this is where I'm taking him. Thanks!

AND being the huge foodie that I am, I LOVE your site. I don't know how I found it, but I'm happy I did!

-Victoria D.

Anonymous said...

Don't try the lambs chops. they are expensive to to to dry!!!!brocoli, carrots, baby corn and lamb chops with.......nothing more