Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ray's Hell Burger- Arlington, VA

To my NoVa readers, you have not been forsaken! I'm finally writing about another NoVa restaurant. My apologies...I'm hardly ever in VA, but I'd like to change that.

There has been so much hype surrounding Ray's Hell Burger, so I knew I had to try it. I went with a couple of friends on a Sunday night for dinner. You know a place focuses on the food if they have a sign like that. Parking is limited in this small shopping center, but there is metered parking along the road. The closest metro stop is Court House on the orange line.


This place is CASH ONLY, and you pay at a register, get a number, and they bring your food to your table. The line moves very fast and they hand you a laminated menu in line. I was overwhelmed because everything sounded good.


The place is small and crowded. We were sitting at the furthest table from the window, so this really is how big the place is. They offer outdoor seating for nice days too.


Onto the menu! The reason why this place has become so popular is their burger size, quality and topping options. You can get these 10oz beef burgers cooked in a 1 of 5 different styles, the option of 11 free toppings, a variety of cheeses including brie (my fav), and some really crazy ones too. If you're feeling adventurous, top your burger with bone marrow, foie gras or truffle oil. You can make any combo you'd like, or order from their preset burgers. Sorry for those that don't eat red meat, there are no turkey burgers, Boca burgers, or Portobello Mushroom burgers.

I was so indecisive, but I chose one of their preset burger options, 'B.I.G. Poppa- Au Poivre Burger with Black Peppercorn Crust, Aged Danish Blue Cheese, Cognac and Sherry Sauteed Mushrooms, Grilled Red Onions' for $7.99. Just typing that out made me salivate. What a burger!

The burgers are served to you open faced.
Top: Mushrooms and Onions
Bottom: Peppercorn Burger and Blue Cheese


Do you see how huge this thing is? The burger doesn't come wrapped in paper or foil to help keep it neat. It's extremely messy, juicy and slidey. I had to cut it in 6th in order to keep things in check.

On the menu, they suggest ordering all burgers Medium-Rare. I personally like my meat that way, so you can see how the center is very pink/red.

There was so much flavor in this burger, OMG. The peppercorn crust was very strong, the cheese was pungent and the mushrooms and onions gave a nice caramelized finish to even everything out. The bun was toasted and the burger was so juicy. I was very impressed at the quality for $8. I was only able finish 5/6 of the thing, and felt like I was going to have a heart attack (not literally, but you know what I mean).


Pretty funny, but everyone at the table either ordered my burger or 'The Punisher- Diablo Burger (Grilled and Brushed with Our Spicy Chipotle Marinade), Pepper Jack Cheese, Charred Jalapenos, Grilled Onions and Piranha Sauce (Fiery, Spicy Green Sauce)' for $7.99.
If y'all know me, I'm not a huge fan of "kill my taste buds" food, so I didn't get to try this. Some of my friends didn't think it was spicy enough. Everyone but me ordered a side of fries or sweet potato fries, and I really liked the sweet potato fries.


Some of my friends ordered their burger well-done, so their food came out a bit later.


One of the free toppings/sauces is 'Heck Sauce', which reminded me of a Texas Pete-type sauce.


I would have to say it was one of the best burgers I've ever had because it tastes great, the beef is moist, the toppings are different, and you get a lot for your money. I don't think I could eat this as frequently as other burger places because aside from it being far from me, it's too huge and sits heavy in your stomach. Naming some of the burgers after rappers is entertaining too (Biggie, Big Pun and Fat Joe).
Next time I'd probably split 'The Burger of Seville- Seared Foie Gras, Sauteed Mushrooms, Bordelaise Sauce, and Truffle Oil ($17.50)' with someone. The runners are funny, the cashiers are super quick, and it's a great place to come with friends and chow down. They offer beer and wine, and even a 60oz Draft Root Beer for $6.50.
1713 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22209
(703) 841-0001
Ray's Hell-Burger on Urbanspoon
Mon-Sun 11 am - 10 pm

1 comment:

KhMaiya said...

I have to agree this is probably the best place to get burger in the DMV. Surprisingly, their new location is actually BIGGER than their original space a few doors down. They caved in and started selling fries ;( I actually liked the cheesy tots they use to sell more. I have the full menu listed here:

I have to agree this is probably the best place to get burger in the DMV. Surprisingly, their new location is actually BIGGER than their original space a few doors down. They caved in and started selling fries ;( I actually liked the cheesy tots they use to sell more. I have the full menu posted here:

http://beansricelife.blogspot.com/2009/06/quite-possibly-best-burgers-in-dmv-rays.html

Its a little dated, but aside from the sides and location, not too much has changed.

Its a little dated, but aside from the sides and location, not too much has changed.