Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Greek Village - Silver Spring, MD

During my middle and high school years, I lived in the Colesville area of Silver Spring. I used to walk to the Giant, buy bread at Upper Crust Bakery, get boutineers at the florist, but I had never gone to Greek Village until now! How unacceptable. Luckily for me, one of my family friends was celebrating her birthday in that very restaurant. There is plenty of free parking with the closest metro stop being Glenmont on the red line.

The interior is spacious with Greek themed decor like the colors, paintings and murals.

On Monday nights, a live jazz band plays during dinner! They're actually pretty good and there is space for people to dance, but no one did. Since it's not a huge restaurant, the music can get loud and make it hard to talk.

I love Greek food. My uncle (through marriage obviously) is a 1st generation Greek immigrant, so I've had the chance to grow up eating it. Sorry guys, I don't have prices (I suck and lost my notes somehow!) but it's an affordable restaurant with a large menu of many typical Greek dishes.

Many of the entrees came with a choice of soup or salad. I ordered a cup of the Avgolemono (Greek Lemon and Rice Soup). It was delicious! There was a nice tang from the lemon and the texture was thick from the rice. I could go for some right now!

I ordered the Moussaka (Minced meat, eggplant and bachamel sauce), which actually was kind of cold when it arrived. I enjoy the hint of cinnamon that is typical of the dish, and I liked the huge portion size. I took most of it home since I would've exploded eating the whole slice.

My cousin (with the Greek dad) ordered the Spanakopita (Spinach Pie), which was SO GOOD. It was half the plate, and had the right amount of salty feta cheese and spinach. I'm ordering this next time I go. It was flaky and hot. The fries that came with her meal were beer battered and I was in love with them too.

The bf (the meat-lover) ordered Chicken with Lemon (not the exact name), which he found very moist. He found the lemon flavor to vary depending on the bite. He liked the portion size, but wasn't impressed.

Happy Birthday girl!

It was nice to finally try this place. We had a large group, so food took some time to come out but the server was nice. It's a very relaxed, family atmosphere. I enjoyed the food and the jazz band was nice entertainment on a Monday night.

13476 New Hampshire Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20904
(301) 879-2877
Greek Village on Urbanspoon

No comments: